10, 11 &? April 2020
(who knows how long the LOS will go for)
Last One Standing
Location: “Blister Hill”
River Road, The Branch (near Stroud) NSW
The main hub is located on a river flat called “Hells Gate” along the Kuruah River, with the trail crossing the privately owned 69 acres and with the name of “Blister Hill” how could we not hold one of Lazarus Lakes famous Backyard Ultras.
As this is held on Easter long weekend please bring the family along. You can camp on the river flat, while you are running endless loops they can go swimming, kayaking, SUP, Mountain Biking etc on the property. Dogs must be on leash entire time.
Summary of the Ultra
- The main Backyard Blister starts at 11 am Friday 10 April
- The 12hr Ultra starts at 7 am on the Saturday 11 April
- The 6hr starts at 11 am on Saturday 11 April
- Runners will start a 6.71 km (4.17 mile) on the hour, every hour
- Runners must finish each lap within 1 hour
- The next lap starts on the hour every hour after that
- This continues until only one runner can complete the lap within the 1-hour time limit
- Runners are called into the starting corral at 3 minutes to the hour
- Any runner not in the starting corral for any lap is not eligible to continue and is recorded as DNF (did not finish)
- Any runner who fails to finish a lap is recorded as DNF (did not finish)
Rules are the same for the 12hr and 6hr however if you make it to the last lap you then need to race the last lap and cross the finish line in first to win, all others who finish within the time frame will be recognized as a finisher instead of a DNF.
$1,000 CASH for The LAST ONE STANDING
$1000 cash prize forThe LAST ONE STANDING of the Blister wins also wins a100 Miler entry into next year Brisbane Trail Ultra, an entry into Mirrim Wurnit Back Paddock Ultra or AAA Racing Clint Eastwood LOSER to compete for the Gold Coin lottery into Big’s Backyard the USA
The winner of the 12hr will receive a FREE entry into Brisbane Trail Ultra 110km
The winner of the 6hr will receive a FREE entry into Riverwood Trail Run 55km Ultra
Mostly single trails, we have tried to make it as easy underfoot as possible so it conforms to the original concept of the Backyard Ultra’s as in it is more a mental challenge rather than physical. We have also tried to keep the elevation as close the original Big’s Backyard (145m) as possible, total elevation per lap of the Blister is 120m
How long is this likely to go on?
As this is the first event of this format in New South Walse we don’t know. But as an example of how far this Last Person Standing event can go, some stats from the United States Big’s Backyard Ultra event in October 2018:
- At 44 laps/hours 2 women and 5 men had completed 183miles (295km).
- 3rd place Gavin Woody finished with 65 laps/hours completing 271miles (436km).
- 2nd place Courtney Dauwalter finished with 67 laps/hours completing 279miles (449km).
- Winner Johan Steene from Sweden completed one more lap to win in a new record of 68 laps covering 283miles (456km) in 68 hours!
Event Director of the United States event and founder of this type of event Laz Lake is renowned for dreaming up events to test people’s limits. During the US event, Laz posts updates on the Facebook page throughout the event and he sums it all up as he wrote during the final hours…
hour 66: and then there were two
with the passing of gavin woody,
it all comes down to johan steene and courtney dauwalter
one will get everything
and one will get nothing.
life is not fair in big’s backyard.
but you know the deal when you sign up.
Keep up to date by following the Facebook page
- Runners must finish the lap within 1 hour
- The next lap starts on the hour every hour after that (signaled by the bell)
- Participants must be in the starting corral at the bell
- A warning will be given at 3, 2, and 1 minute prior to start
- Runners may not leave the course until each loop is completed (once the horn goes you must complete a loop before any support is given/taken)
- No non-competitors on the course (including eliminated runners).
- You are not to receive support or pacing from runners – gear, food or liquids. All that is allowed is a quick verbal encouragement as they pass you or you pass them. Both yourself and the other runner/s will be disqualified if this rule is broken.
- No personal aid/support during a lap (the one aid/support location is the event base)
- No artificial aids (including poles!)
- Slower runners – please allow faster runners to pass
- The winner is the last person to complete a lap when all others have given up
- All others are technically DNF
- If no runner can complete one more lap than anyone else, there is no winner
- Please report to the timing area when you decide you can no longer go on
- No cats, dogs or other domesticated animals allowed on the course with runners.
Because of the lap nature of the course, there is no compulsory gear required.
We recommend the Backyard Blister runners have a support crew. This is limited to a maximum of 3 people at a time (based at the runner’s support tent).
Please carpool where possible to limit the amount of vehicle parking and moving traffic near the course and main hub.
General supporters can cheer/encourage at the finish line etc but can not join the runner in their tent. This is to prevent overcrowding on the course around the tents.
ON COURSE REFRESHMENTS
There will water and Tailwind provided at the main hub. Water will be available approximately halfway out on the course. We are cup free so please bring your own bottle/cup/vessel for holding water.
Each individual will be allocated a 3m x 4m site within the event base. No vehicles will be allowed on the tent sites.
Team tent sites do not have power or tap water.
RULES, T&C’s, PARTICIPANT WAIVER
The following are the rules of the event and you will sign your agreement to these during the entry process.
The event in the following waiver declaration is known as “Backyard Blister Ultra”.
- I agree to comply with the rules, regulations and event instructions of the Event.
- At all times competitors must obey the instructions of Race Officials and beware of vehicular transport. Any competitor who fails to obey the instructions of Race officials will be removed from the Event and disqualified. The race director has the discretion to disqualify competitors.
- No competitor may use any banned substances with the intent to improve their performance, eliminate the sense of fatigue or for any other purpose. Any competitor serving a ban for banned substances in another sport is not permitted to enter. The Event Organisers may test any athlete for the use of a prohibited substance at its own discretion – a positive test resulting in disqualification.
- It is important that all competitors exhibit good behaviour and sportsmanlike conduct, and treat fellow competitors, Event organisers, volunteers and contractors with courtesy and respect. Failure to do so may result in disqualification at any time before, during or after the Event.
- If a competitor withdraws from the Event they must advise the finish line officials of their withdrawal as soon as possible and prior to leaving the venue.
- I acknowledge that there are risks involved with participation in this Event and fully realise the dangers of participating in an event such as this and fully assume the risks associated with such participation and my wellbeing during the Event.
- I understand and agree that situations may arise during the Event, which may be beyond the immediate control of officials or organisers, and I must continually participate in a manner that does not endanger either myself or others.
- I certify that I am physically fit, have sufficiently trained for participation in the Event and I have not been advised otherwise by a qualified medical person.
- The Event organisers reserve the right to alter rules, regulations, Event course and venues at any time provided athletes are advised prior to the Event, or if such a change is in the interest of competitor safety.
- The Event Organisers reserve the right to implement the contingency plan in the interests of competitor safety but will not be held liable for any loss as a result of such a decision. In the event such a decision is made, if the conditions are still deemed to be unsafe, the Event organisers have sole discretion, and may cancel the Event without obligation to refund entry fees.
- Neither the organisers, the sponsors nor other parties associated with the Event shall have any responsibility, financial or otherwise, for any risk incident that might arise, whether or not by negligence, from any direct or indirect loss, injury or death that might be sustained by me or any other party directly or indirectly associated with me, from my intended or actual participation in the Event or its related activities. I do therefore hereby on behalf of my heirs, executors, administrators and assignees release and forever discharge the organisers, sponsors of, landowners and any and all persons involved in the conduct of the event from any and all liability whatsoever or claims of damages or actions whatsoever (including negligence) in any manner arising out of my participation in the Event.
- I authorise my name, voice, picture and information on this entry form to be used without payment to me in any broadcast, telecast, promotion, advertising, or any other way pursuant to the Privacy Act 1993.
- I consent to organisers or suppliers filming me with an aerial quadcopter above or next to me while taking part in the Event.
- I consent to receive medical treatment which may be advisable in the event of illness or injuries suffered during the Event.
- I have if relevant to this Event, made my team members aware of these conditions and have authority to sign on their behalf.
- I understand that I have rights under the Privacy Act 1993 to access and correct any information held about me.
If you have registered and then find yourself in a situation where you are unable to participate you are more than welcome to on-sell your entry. There is no admin fee, funds have already been allocated to the running of this event, we do not make any money out of this event, therefore, we are unable to give refunds. We are more than happy to hold & transfer your entry to the following year.